Wednesday, July 25, 2012

7/25/12 Cinderella



This post is mainly going to be about removing the blue Clover marking lines from page one.  I was pretty worried that since they'd been on for over 15 months -- which is well beyond the recommended two weeks!-- that there would be staining issues.  Thankfully, with just some cold water, the marking lines disappeared within a matter of minutes!  The only issue I had is that it did leave a minor water stain around the edges of the design.  I believe this was either because I used regular bottled water instead of distilled water or perhaps there was some sort of stiffening agent on the fabric itself.  Either way, I'm not too concerned about it because the stain will be stitched over or covered with matting.

Here are some pictures of the process and results!

I placed the fabric in a clean 13x9 baking pan so that I would only have to wash the affected areas.

Before shot of the markings on the side as well as the ones you could visibly see under the stitching.
After only a few minutes in the cold water, all the markings were completely gone!
After drying.  You can see the waterstain around the design.
After going through this process, I've decided to give gridding using 4lb fishing line a try instead of the marking pen.  It took a few hours to grid page two, but overall I'm liking it so far.  It does take a little getting used to.  I did use the marking pen to label the squares since it makes referencing the chart much easier.
Page 2 gridded
Finally, here is a better picture of the progress so far on page two.  I've been taking a break the last few days because of a lingering headache, but hopefully I can get some more stitching done this week.  Happy stitching everyone!



9 comments:

sharine said...

Good to hear it worked out. It is looking great.

Monique said...

Its looking so good so far. I use the marking pen because I don't like stitching over gridding lines that are thread and have yet to have a problem. Its always nice how we all have different tastes.

Shelleen said...

Looks amazing already

Ewa said...

Thanks for posting this - I'm always seeing questions pop up about the blue pens and such, but not having used one yet, I haven't been able to give any pointers. Progress looks great!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work! I've had my eye on this kit, but I do have a question about the chart. In all the pictures I've seen (online), it seems like Cinderella and the prince lack facial features. Is that true?

Tazura Seiple said...

It looks lovely! and I'm so glad the markers came out for you.

Honestly, I didn't notice the watermarks in the final cleaning picture until you pointed it out. can't wait to see it when it gets done!

Lauren - Ambitious Stitches said...

Ohsewcrafty,

They do have some very basic facial features, but they are not very detailed. They have a backstitch nose and mouth and french knot eyes, but that's the extent of it. The picture on the front of the kit only seems to show the noses and maybe the mouths.

Mii Stitch said...

Looks beautiful!

Spice up your Life said...

Your work look amazing! I always find it difficult use marking pen to grid 25ct linen/evenweave cause it's so thin!!! Is there any tip around? Thanks a bunch!